Sunday, February 24, 2013
Week 2 of the "40 Days for Life" prayer vigil for the end of abortion ended as it begun with the weather dominating the proceedings. Artic temperatures, snow, wind, blowing snow have all challenged those having visited the vigil location. My heartfelt thanks goes to all who have braved these conditions, suffering numb toes and frozen finger tips.
WANTED - vigilers. Though our numbers vary between 16 and 20 visitors each day, these are not distributed evenly throughout our 12-hour days. The first and last quarters of each day are solidly packed, but not the middle hours – from 10 a.m. through 4 p.m. So, to all able bodied persons, we need your help to cover these middle hours; your presence would go a long way to ease the burden on those of us who are out there.
Number of Saved babies - As of February 24, 142 babies have been saved from being aborted. Praise God!
- Way of the cross – This past Friday, seven of us gathered in Lahaie park and performed the way of the Cross. Prayers were recited, meditations read, and hymns chanted. Regarding the latter, special thanks goes to two members from the Soeurs missionaires Notre-Dame-des-Anges who led the rest of us in song.
- That same night fifteen of us gathered inside Saint Enfant Jesus church for nightly adoration. Begun at 7:30 p.m., Fr. Louis presided over the proceedings: exposition, benediction, and reposition, the latter at 1 a.m. This commemorated the quarter point in our vigil. Another period of adoration is set for the three-quarter mark of the vigil – day 30 (March 14).
- Finally, a crowd of about 30 gathered inside Saint Enfant Jesus church, on Saturday past to partake in an afternoon of prayer for respect for life. Fr. Joel, vicar at the Cathedral, presided.
A look ahead:
- Friday, March 1, 3:00 p.m.: Stations of the Cross
- Friday, March 1, 7:30 p.m.: Pro-Life rosary and fellowship - Saint Raymond Parish (Laval)
- Saturday, March 2, 3:30 p.m.: Sacrament of penance
- Sunday, March 3: Vesper service (6:00 p.m.)
- Tuesday, March 5: Mid-vigil mass (7:30 p.m.)
Hope to see many of you at these events.